Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Forbes magazine released its list of the globe's wealthiest billionaires today, and four of the top 10 are from India
Forbes magazine released its list of the globe's wealthiest billionaires today, and four of the top 10 are from India. Only one of those, Lakshmi Mittal, was among last year's 10 richest, moving up from fifth place to fourth in 2008.
Of the two Americans who made the cut, Bill Gates was knocked down to third place, after ranking first in 2007. His successor in the top spot, Warren Buffet, rose from a second place finish last year.
The list was rounded out by citizens of Mexico, Sweden, Russia, and Germany, each of which can lay claim to one billionaire a piece.
Forbes' 2008 Top Ten Richest Billionaires in the World:
1. Warren Buffett, U.S., $62 billion (investment/Berkshire Hathaway)
2. Carlos Slim Helu, Mexico, $60 billion (telecom, banking, tobacco)
3. Bill Gates, U.S., $58 billion (Microsoft)
4. Lakshmi Mittal, India, $45 billion (steel)
5. Mukesh Ambani, India, $43 billion (petrochemicals)
6. Anil Ambani, India, $42 billion (energy)
7. Ingvar Kamprad, Sweden, $31 billion (Ikea)
8. K.P. Singh, India, $30 billion (real estate)
9. Oleg Deripaska, Russia, $28 billion (aluminum)
10. Karl Albrecht, Germany, $27 billion (retail)
at 9:21 PM